Carlos Diego Arenas Pacheco
Year Matriculated into Ph.D. Program
Areas of Interest
Late-medieval philosophy and theology; Scotism; the Franciscan Order; Late-medieval Spain
B.A. in Philosophy, La Salle University (Mexico City), 2012, summa cum laude;
M.A. in Humanities, Focus on Moral and Political Philosophy, Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana (Mexico City), 2016, University Medal
I am interested in the medieval and early modern intellectual history of the Franciscan Order, the development of Scotism, its arrival in Spain, and its influence on the pastoral and missionary activities of the Spanish Franciscan provinces. My long-term research goal is to understand the moral and political intellectual history of the Franciscan Order during the Middle Ages, to discover how this history shaped Scotism, and to map the influence of Scotism on the evangelization by Franciscan missionaries in the New Spain. As a first step, I wrote a dissertation titled "La filosofía moral y política de Juan Duns Escoto" under the supervision of Dr. Jörg A. Tellkamp during my M.A. studies, where I focused on studying Scotism from a purely philosophical point of view. My dissertation is a candidate for publication by the University of Navarra, Spain. At the Medieval Institute, I want to focus on studying Scotism in its historical context, both in relationship to Franciscan intellectual history and to its transmission into 14th and 15th century Spain.
Recent Scholarly Activity
- Referee for 'Revista de Filosofía', Universidad Iberoamericana, Mexico, 2016-2017.
- "Hegel y el catolicismo", Tercer Coloquio de Estudios Hegelianos, Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla, Puebla, Mexico, 26 october, 2015.
- Research Assistant, Progetto Pico (Università di Bologna/Brown University), Digitization and Database programming of Duns Scotus's Corpus, 2014-2015.
- “Una reflexión filosófica y retórica sobre el lenguaje ecuménico en los Documentos de Medellín, Santo Domingo y Aparecida”, II Coloquio de Filosofía e Historia de las Ideas en América Latina "Memoria, Tradición y Problemáticas", CIALC, CELA, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, 19 march, 2014.
- Classical Nahuatl Teacher, Comisión Nacional para el Desarrollo de los Pueblos Indígenas, Mexico, 2013.