The Department of Classics, the Medieval Institute, and the Center for the Study of Languages and Cultures are pleased to bring you the joint Summer 2020 Classical, Medieval and Near Eastern Language Institute, making available Notre Dame's exceptional range of ancient and medieval linguistic expertise to the broader scholarly world.
Summer 2020: Classical, Medieval and Near Eastern Language Institute
- March 18: Registration begins for current ND students and application opens for non-degree, visiting students
- Each course is 3 credits
- Please contact individual instructors for questions about their courses
- Latin Diplomatics, taught by Dr. Federico Gallo (July 6–24, M–F, 2:00–4:30)
- Medieval Latin, taught by Dr. David T. Gura (June 15–July 24, M–R, 10:30–12:05)
- Beginning Latin I, taught by Maria Ma (June 1–26, M–F, 8:45–12:30)
- Beginning Latin II, taught by Eleanor Choi (June 29–July 24, M–F, 8:45–12:30)
- Intermediate Latin, taught by Prof. Liz Mazurek (June 29–July 24, M–F, 10:30–12:30)
- Beginning Syriac, taught by Prof. Adam Bremer-McCollum (July 6–24, MTW, 12:30–4:40)
- Beginning Greek I, taught by Melody Wauke (June 1–26, M–F, 8:45–12:30)
- Beginning Greek II, taught by Brian Pulverenti (June 29–July 24, M–F, 8:45–12:30)
- Patristic and Byzantine Greek, taught by Dr. Yuliya Minets (June 15–July 24, M–R, 2–3:40)
Enrollment and Costs
For course enrollment and general information, visit the Summer Session web site. Enrollment for all summer courses follows the deadlines and procedures of the University’s Office of the Summer Session.
Please consult the Summer Session Tuition & Financial Aid page for information on tuition costs, housing, meals, insurance, and other fees.
CARA Tuition Scholarships
The Medieval Academy of America (through its Committee on Centers and Regional Associations, CARA) offers a limited number of stipends for graduate students taking summer courses in medieval languages or manuscript studies. Scholarship applicants must be student members of the Medieval Academy with at least one year of graduate school remaining. Both the Medieval Institute’s “Medieval Latin” and “Latin Paleography” classes qualify for this stipend program. Read information on joining the Medieval Academy and its very reasonable student dues.
For complete information, including the application deadline, see CARA Summer Programs and Tuition Scholarships.
Summer 2021 Tentative Offerings
Georgian - Greek Paleography - Numismatics - Armenian - Coptic - Beginning Latin I - Beginning Latin II - Intermediate Latin - Beginning Greek I - Beginning Greek II - Intermediate Greek - Latin Paleography - Greek Diplomatics - Codicology - Arabic - Ethiopic - Aramaic - Christian Palestinian - Jewish Babylonian - Middle Persian - Sogdian - Judeo - Persian - Quranic Arabic