Father Edward Sorin, C.S.C., founds Notre Dame.
Fr. Philip S. Moore begins a program of medieval studies, assisted by the Sorbonne, offering graduate courses for the first time.
Father Moore, now dean of the Graduate School, formally founds the Medieval Institute.
Photo (from left to right): Reverend Joseph N. Garvin, C.S.C., first Assistant Director; Reverend Philip S. Moore, C.S.C., founder; Reverend Gerald B. Phelan, First Director
Microfilming of the Ambrosiana collection begins.
Photo (from left to right): Monsignor Angelo Paredi, Professor Astrik Gabriel, Monsignor Ernesto Moneta Caglio.
The Medieval Institute moves to the new Hesburgh Library (then Memorial Library); Father Theodore Hesburgh gives the Institute an entire floor. The director, Canon Gabriel, chooses the seventh floor, as seven is the number of perfection.
Notre Dame purchases the personal collection of Milton V. Anastos, a renowed Professor of Classics and Byzantine Studies at UCLA; this collection is housed in the Medieval Institute's Starvros Niarchos Byzantine and Classics Reading Room (room no. 714), inaugurated in 2012.
Medieval Institute Director Remie Constable donates room 714B to house the new Near Eastern Studies Collection.
The Institute celebrates its 75th anniversary, 1946–2021.